Whether you’re going on a business trip, flying south for a vacation, or taking a short trip to the big city, packing can be filled with stress and uncertainty.
Three things can make the whole process a lot easier.
1. Plan. Take just a very few minutes to answer some basic questions about your trip will save you time — and help you look more stylish at your destination. There are no right and wrong answers. The important thing is to align your goals with what ends up in your suitcase.
- Where am going and when?
- What is the goal of my trip?
- How do I want to look and feel on my trip?
- Do I want to pack light — or do I not care?
- Do I have any special concerns about this trip?
- What do I need to buy?
2. Give yourself time. Some people can throw stuff into a bag a few minutes before the taxi is due to arrive.
Most of us do not fall into that category. A few days (or more) before your trip, jot down outfit ideas for your
trip as well as the time you’ll spend en route. Return to your list and edit it as necessary until your list aligns with your trip goals.
3. Prioritize the small stuff. For most situations, I advise clients to big priority to accessories (shoes, jewelry, scarves, bags) that can instantly the look of a basic dress.
Once you’ve gone through all these preparations, make sure to hold on to the final version of your list. If your bag gets lost, you’ll have a general idea of what’s in it. And you’ll have your list to use as a jumping-off point the next time you take the same or a similar trip.
(Ketura Persellin is an image consultant, personal stylist, writer, and public speaker in Washington, DC, and surrounding suburbs.)