The magazines are huge and the clothes sometimes don’t seem as accessible as we might like, we mortals with our everyday lives.
Here’s a snapshot of the possibilities for Fall 2013 — some ways to incorporate trends into the major areas of your life.
Your professional style
Trends and business attire can seem as they don’t go together, but this season there is a lot to choose from: pinstripes, wide-leg pants, plaid pants, loafers, and oxfords with heels. Some options this season:
- A ruby blouse with a gray pinstripe wide leg pant, a trapezoid coat and a spectator pump
- A sleeveless jacket over a thin knit layering piece with a plaid pant and heeled oxfords (plaid is absolutely on my short list this season)
- A tweed knit long-sleeved sweater dress with tights, ankle booties and a crocodile frame bag
Who doesn’t love the weekend? Your look doesn’t have to be overly casual. Instead, incorporate flower prints are in full bloom, backpacks have gotten stylish and leather should be on your must-try list! You might try:
- A fall bloom print blouse tucked into an olive fine corduroy jeans with a classic flat boot and a leather jacket.
- An oversize V-neck sweater with an A-line mid-length skirt and a flat ankle boot with straps
- An elegant sweatshirt with skinny black leather (or denim) pants and a ballet flat
Your after-hours style
Fashion always has lots of great ideas for big events. This year I’m excited about the art print, the pointy-toe pump, and the so-called modest dress. What to wear on date night this season:
- A statement dress in an art print or mixed-fabric collage with a soft clutch and a jewel-tone pump
- A tuxedo-stripe pant, white button-up shirt and a pointy-toe heel
- A long-sleeve little black dress with a gold clutch, d’Orsay heel, and white clean line coat.
Need some help deciphering which trends will work for your lifestyle? If you’re not sure, that’s what I’m here for! Call me and I’ll help you incorporate some of these elements into a look that’s perfect for you.
(Ketura Persellin is a stylist, writer, and public speaker in Washington, DC, and surrounding suburbs. Contact her for a complimentary get-acquainted session.)