I am a HUGE fan of fabulous, up-to-date, and stylish head shots, like this beautiful one in black and white. It’s just a fact that today, our first impression is usually digital. A prospective date or employer checks out our online presence, and for most of us, a picture will be part of that profile. What does your say about you? If you’re not sure, or suspect it may be time for a new head shot. And you can be sure it is time if:
1. You can’t remember when yours was taken. Chances are, it’s such a long time ago that you look different today. It’s best if your headshot resembles what you look like in real life.
2. Your hair/glasses/weight is totally different today from what it is in your head shot. The idea is to present your best, most current self in your head shot — and minimize any disconcerting surprises that might occur when you meet someone who’s only seen you in your head shot before.
3. You’re changing jobs or professions. Are you moving from one field to another, particularly from a creative to more conservative field (or vice versa)? Your head shot should project your professional persona.
4. Your most prominent digital image includes other adults, children, and/or cute animals. Many people join Facebook and even LinkedIn groups using a family or other casual snapshot. But this isn’t the best way to project your most professional self online.
5. You don’t like how you look in your head shot. It might even be one you had taken a few weeks ago — but if you don’t like it, it is time for a new one. You should love how you look in your head shot.
6. Your current headshot — which you use in LinkedIn and in other professional contexts — is an out-of-focus selfie. This is not the best way to put yourself forward professionally.
Do any of these describe your head shot? If so, you may be interested to know that I’m planning a photography session just so DC-area women can get a new head shot taken by the talented and award-winning photographer Rebecca Drobis. (You can see more of her work here and here.) We’ll also have the fabulous Mimi Tran on hand to touch up makeup. And of course I will be there to help you pick the best accessories for projecting the image you want to project. I hope you can join us on July 15! Get all the details here.